Sunday, November 23, 2008

DAY TWO - Amy

Today I slept in late.  All the travel from the day before had taken its toll on me!  I'm very lucky to have a sweet husband who refuses to wake me even when I ask him to...  :o)  When I woke up, Mark was swimming in the pool, so I decided to join him.  Being in such lush surroundings with no one else around, I jumped in (uh...waded in slowly - COLD!) buck-nekked.  What an amazing feeling to swim that way in broad daylight!  Now I can check that off my things to do before I die.  Hee
 

After our brisk swim, we made a wonderful breakfast complimented by a Malibu Rum and orange juice.  Yum-my! 
 

All the eating and swimming, along with a long stroll with camera through the yard, really did me in...because I retired to the hammock with book in hand and didn't end up reading a single word before I was zonked out AGAIN! *blush* 


Upon waking up, feeling refreshed, we decided to hop in the "jeep" (RAV-4) and explore the southwest side of the island.

(Gratuitous photo of a cow - MOO!  There are sheep, goats, chickens, roosters and cows roaming all over the island.  Super fun for a city girl!)

We stopped at a small park/beach for a bit, then ventured closer to the condemned parts of the island.  The volcano was easily visible, as well as well as many signs of the leftover devastation of the 1995 eruption.  


Dead trees, covered-over houses showing only the roofs...it was awe-inspiring to witness the destruction to what was once a clearly beautiful and happening part of the island.  




A fun/bumpy/scary drive home later, we made dinner and drank wine while listening to Ben Folds.  Such a nice feeling to be able to do nothing with my amazing, loving husband! No expectations or obligations...just time to enjoy each other and relax.  We ended the night with a shower literally under palm trees and stars (so cool).  


I feel asleep with a smile on my lips and a very full heart.  

No comments: